William Jackson 1891 Biography

Biography - William H. Jackson

WILLIAM H. JACKSON is a well-to-do and widely known farmer and stock-breeder, living on section 35, of Pickaway Township, where he owns a fine farm of four hundred acres, almost all of which is in a high state of cultivation and having extensive and costly improvements. The buildings are of a high order, being well built and commodious. The residence is comfortable and commodious, and all of the improvements have been made by our subject himself, the farm being for the most part virgin prairie which had never been cut by a plow.

Mr. Jackson purchased his present place of residence in 1863 and has since lived here. He first came to the county in 1844 but after a stay of two years he enlisted in the Mexican War, joining the Third Illinois Volunteer Regiment, Company B, of which Captain Freeman and Col. Foreman were in command. They were at once sent to the front and were engaged in the battle of Carmago, and in other skirmishes. After serving for one year our subject returned to Illinois and in 1847 located his land warrant which had been granted by the Government for services rendered. The warrant covered one hundred and sixty acres of land which he located in Ridge Township. He is still the owner of this tract and it was there that he lived until 1863, when he came to this township.

The original of our sketch is noted throughout the township for his thrift and industry and as a successful breeder of stock. His home is a model in point of neatness and improvements in agricultural implements and conveniences. It resembles some of the finest breeding farms of the Blue Grass region of Kentucky. He is the owner of two hundred and eighty acres in Ridge Township, which is all improved.

He of whom we write came to this State in 1840. He lived in Fayette County till 1844. He was born in Steubenville, Ohio, February 16, 1833, and is the son of Thomas and the grandson of John Jackson, who were both natives of Pennsylvania and came of Irish ancestry. His grandfather was a farmer in Pennsylvania where he lived and died, being at the time of his decease very old. He had married a Pennsylvania lady who also died there. Our subject's father, Thomas Jackson, spent his early life under his father's roof, there learning the duties and secrets of farm life. He was married to W. Elizabeth Manley. She was also a native of Pennsylvania. After the birth of part of their children Thomas Jackson and his wife removed to Ohio, and some years later came by way of the overland route to this state, making his first settlement in Fayette County. There he and his wife located upon and improved a new farm where they spent the remainder of their days. They were both quite advanced in years at the time of their respective deaths, the father being fifty-three years of age and the mother seventy. Mrs. Jackson was a Methodist in her religious preference. Her husband was politically an old Jacksonian Democrat, with all that that term implies, of chivalry and independence.

Our subject is one of ten sons and two daughters. Of these only four of the sons and one daughter arc now living, all of these being married and having families of their own. Our subject was only a boy when his parents came to this State, and here he attained his majority. His first wife was a Miss Margaret Waters. She was born in Champaign County, this State, and there reared. She died after about three years of marital life, being then in the meridian of her womanhood. She left two children. One, John T., is now deceased, and one, William, is in the West, being there married to a Western lady.

Mr. Jackson was a second time married in this county to Miss Mary A. Burk. She was born in Pennsylvania, and was young when, with her parents, Robert and Esther Burk, she came to Shelby County. The family settled at a very early day on Robinson Creek and there the father and mother lived for some time. They later moved to Rural Township, this county, where they purchased land and there spent the remainder of their lives, being old people at the time of their decease. They were well and honorably known among the old settlers of the county. Both parents were members of the Presbyterian Church.

Mrs. Margaret J. Jackson was one of a large family, only a few of whom are yet living. Mrs. Jackson is one of the prominent matrons of the township, being a leader in social life. She is a true wife and mother. Nine children have come to brighten and gladden our subject's home and fireside. All of these are living and are as follows: Robert, Samuel, M. Jane, Louisa, Esther, Mary A., Elizabeth, Andrew and Charles. Robert is a farmer in Bethany Township, this county, and is the devoted husband of the lady whose maiden name was Sally Marshall. Samuel took to wife Miss K. DeVaughn. They live on a farm in Ridge Township. Jane is the wife of George Hall, a farmer in this township. Louisa is the wife of Samuel DeVaughn, and lives in Rural Township. Esther married Morris Robinson, and lives in Windsor Township. Mary A. is the wife of James Madden and lives in Todd's Point Township. Elizabeth was united to Wilber Workman, a farmer in Okaw Township. Anderson and Charles are at home.

Mrs. Jackson is a member of the Presbyterian Church, while our subject is a member of the Christian Church. He of whom we write is a Democrat in politics and has held several local offices in the gift of his party.

Extracted 13 Jan 2018 by Norma Hass from 1891 Portrait and Biographical Record of Shelby and Moultrie Counties Illinois, pages 441-442.

Templates in Time